Low Level Laser Therapy - Woodbridge, Vaughan
What is Low Level Laser Therapy?
Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is the use of low intensity light emission applied through a laser diode, or an array of Super Luminous Diodes to treat common, chronic, skin or degenerative conditions or injuries. The physiological process is started by administering the light source to the skin which allows photons of energy penetrate the tissue, resulting in the restoration of normal cell function and promotion of the normal healing process.
Typically a person will need 5-20 treatments of laser therapy which can last 15-60mins. The final result of the treatment will lead to restoration of normal cell function. There have not been any recorded negative effects from low level laser therapy. This modality is considered curative meaning long lasting relief from your symptoms is possible (depending on your injury/condition). After treatment you may experience an increase in your pain levels as the physiological process occurs. If this happens talk to your therapist for pain control strategies.
Advantages of LLLT
- It is non-invasive
- It is non-toxic
- It is easy to apply to any body part
- The treatment outcome is highly effective
This technology is highly effective and safe to use on pain, aches or injuries anywhere in the body. For example, arthritis, TMD, shoulder pain, hip pain, low back disc degeneration or bulge, sciatica, neuropathic pain, tendonitis (shoulder, elbow, hip, ankle), tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis or sports injuries. You can click here for more information on laser therapy.
Long Term Physiological Effects
• Creates cellular energy (ATP)
• DNA production
• Increase in neurotransmitters (increased cellular activity)
• Increased cellular replication
• Formation of new blood vessels
• Improved electrolyte balance
• Increased cellular communication
• Modulation of macrophages fibroblasts and other cells
Short Term Physiological Effects
- Release of endorphins
- Cortisol production
When Should I Use Laser Therapy?
You should use laser therapy if:
- There is a lot of pain
- There is swelling and inflammation
- Traditional treatments like physio, chiro etc. have not worked
- Your doctor or surgeon recommend a steroid injection -try laser first!
- Your doctor or surgeon recommend a surgery – try laser first!
If you would like to learn more about laser therapy at Physiotherapy@Woodbridge then please take a look at our Bioflex Laser Therapy webpage which provides more information. You can also give us a call or book an appointment online with one of our physiotherapists. This is a great treatment if you have a high pain level and feel you cannot tolerate traditional forms of physiotherapy. This alternative form of treatment can help you to get past your pain and progress.